April 11, 2011

Chowder

Peppered Smoked Rainbow Trout Chowder

It's a mouthful, but a tasty one at that!

Since moving to Chicago I've made a very good friend who is able to bring me the occasional care package from her job -- not sure I should go into many details here about what exactly she does, but I will say it is an incredibly kind service. Anyway, among the many wonderful foods in my last care package she included a Peppered Smoked Rainbow Trout. It looked delicious but I was completely clueless as to what to do with it... until tonight of course.

Chowder!

My recipe:

8oz peppered smoked rainbow trout
2c water
1.5 russet potatoes, chunked (if I had red or yukon gold potatoes I would rather have used them, but these worked.)
1 carrot, diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 garlic clove, diced
1/2 Spanish onion, diced (equaled to about a cup and a quarter or so)
1.5c butternut squash, chunked
3c 2% Milk
1tbsp butter

Directions:

In a medium dutch oven melt butter over medium heat and cook onions and garlic until slightly softened and fragrant. Add celery and carrot and stir occasionally until lightly browned. Add water, potatoes and butternut squash and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about ten minutes. While vegetables are simmering tear the trout into bite sized pieces and combine with milk in separate container. Add milk and trout to the simmering vegetables after the ten minutes are up. Simmer the soup for 30-40 minutes to combine flavors. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

The only difference I might make is adding some fresh dill as a garnish, but I didn't have any tonight.

Serve with a toasted bread or oyster crackers and enjoy!

I won't bother adding photos because if you've seen one chowder, you've seen what they look like -- delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment