June 11, 2010

Potato Pancakes & Wine and Cheese dinner

So I haven't been able to post my photos from the (very succesful) potato pancakes because I have been quite busy. The husband has Tuesday and Wednesday as his days off, so we spend them doing everything that needs to get done.

Anyway, I made the potato pancakes using this recipe and holy cow were they tasty. We have done latkes a few times (usually my husband makes them) and we have never used the mashed potato as a binder, turns out, the secret to the perfect texture is the mashed mixed with the raw shredded potatoes.

I served the latkes with sour cream (of course) and some homemade apple sauce, which I have never bothered to use a recipe for. I always just peel & slice, put a bit of water in the bottom of the pan, a bit of sugar and a bit of cinnamon and cook away until it is squishy, always turns out great.



The only issue I ran into was... what do you serve with potato pancakes? All we could think to suggest were pork products (which felt sort of inappropriate). We ended up just steaming some vegetables to have on the side. Not the healthiest meal ever... but worth it in flavor.









Last night we did our regular cheese & wine dinner and I decided to take photos of our table...


Duck Liver Pate w/ Cognac, Shrimp Cocktail, English Cheddar, Balsalmic BellaVitano & some goat cheese. All enjoyed with a Viridian 2007 Pinot Noir. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment