June 06, 2010

Vichyssoise and Photo Dump

Last night's dinner was delicious! It is hard to mess up this soup (a side note: also sometimes called Potato & Leek soup, which it technically is, the difference is made when the soup is served chilled, which makes it specifically Vichyssoise), it is so easy to make yet so impressive when served garnished.

I was given a stick blender at my bridal shower as a gift and I was so excited to put it to use. The last time I made blended soup (lentil soup I think?) the blender exploded all over the kitchen and burned me and was just all around a mess. With the stick blender the soup was pureed in about thirty seconds, it was wonderful.

Usually I would serve Vichyssoise as the first course for a multi-course dinner, but it is fantastic as a meal with a piece of toast, which is what we did. At the farmer's market I bought a great garlic & Parmesan bread which when toasted is wonderful.

I had some fresh dill (which I used with the fingerling potatoes the night before) which I decided to use as garnish instead of green onions, which are the typical garnish, and the dill really added something different and tasty to the soup.


By the way, if you would like the recipe: here ya go.

Another great thing about this soup is that it could easily be done vegetarian. All you would have to do is suppliment vegetable stock for the chicken stock and I'm sure it would be just as delicious.

Now, time for the photo dump, here are a some photos I took over the course of a few months of dinners I have cooked and were especially tasty.



BLT Salad & Roasted Winter Vegetables with Cheesy Polenta



Broiled NY Strip Steak, Herb Butter Brussel Sprouts

& Herb de Provence Polenta with Pinot Noir





We decided to attempt our own version Peepshi, it was actually pretty good. We used coconut for sesame seeds & chocolate sauce thinned with milk as the soy sauce. Not something you would want to do more than once a year, but it was fun for the night.

No comments:

Post a Comment